Wednesday, May 7, 2014

MB Feeney Review Tour





Blurb:


Disheartened about not being able to find “Mr. Right” on the London dating scene, best friends Jodie Lynch and Louise Hewson create a blog to not only document their disastrous dates with the numerous “Mr. Wrongs” and “Mr. Okay-for-nows” but also to help those going through the same experiences and to see where they’re going wrong. How will they deal with everything the dating scene has to throw at them — planned or otherwise?

Excerpt:

Sipping her hot coffee, Jodie Lynch tapped in her login details to check how well the latest blog post had been received. The stats were through the roof, and there were almost thirty comments awaiting approval. She’d never expected that writing about the nonexistent sex life being experienced by her and her best friend Louise Hewson would garner so much attention.

Ever since they’d started the blog six months ago after suffering yet another dire date with someone who wasn’t what they’d ‘advertised,’ the friends had begun to enjoy the torture of dating. Back then, Jodie had sat with Louise drinking cheap rosé into the early hours and lamenting the lack of decent, single, honest men who still had their own hair and teeth. That wasn’t too much to ask, was it? Without thinking and under the influence, Jodie had pulled out her laptop and set up the blog. She’d been thankful that she hadn’t posted anything that evening, and she had almost deleted the blog altogether once she’d overcome her hangover the next day. However, after to speaking with Louise, Jodie had decided to go ahead with the no-holds-barred outlet for their frustration. She read the last post back before looking at the comments.


14 June 2012 –
Why Would You?



So, Louise got set up on another blind date by her boss Theresa. She kept telling Louise that Mark was “such a nice guy” and “so perfect for you”. Since pickings had been slim, Lou tarted herself up, yet again making me jealous of her gorgeous, slim, petite figure, which made my almost six-foot frame look extra gangly. As I curled her hair, she began her age-old whinge about wanting my red hair. Who wants to be ginger with all the hassle we get? Anyway, I digress. She got ready and went to meet him at the local Bella Pasta (His choice, not hers. *eye roll*). Typical Louise, she arrived early. She decided to wait at the tiny bar and get herself a drink — non-alcoholic, of course, since we ALL know what happened last time. While she waited, she scoped out all the escape points. Just in case.

My Reveiew


Right Click Love is a great insight into what young women face in the dating world.
The story was funny, heartwarming and sweet.

Two friends run a blog telling followers about their dates and the do's and dont's. I laughed out loud numerous times while reading.
The book is well written, keeps you hooked and has a great ending. I don't do spoilers so if you want to know how it ends, read it! 



Blurb:

Ava Jones has settled for a life that she’s not sure she wants anymore, but won’t admit it. Her best friend, Erica Davidson talks her into taking a break on the Isle of Wight. Her days on the island are spent thinking things through, and arguing with Morgan whom she hates on principal.
Is it so wrong for her to want a life that follows the script of a honest to God romance film?

Excerpt:
I’d met Marcus Tripp not long after joining Wilson Insurance. Although I’d never really fancied him, he was persistent. Our friendship had grown, and we’d fallen into a routine that suited both of us. I was happy with the attention, and the sex . . . yeah, it was okay. As time passed, the earth rarely moved when we were intimate; more often than not, it was pretty much over before it began. Still, we stayed together, more out of habit and familiarity than anything else. We did love each other. I just wasn’t sure that it was enough.
In the evenings I spent alone, I would daydream about living the life of a lead in a Hollywood chick flick, but then reality would slap some sense into me. My life was as good as it was going to get. I wasn’t about to be swept off my feet any time soon. Marcus and I were comfortable, and that was enough — for me, at least. I was too scared to ask Marcus what he felt.
We tried for a couple of years to have children, but it never happened. After many serious discussions, we decided to give up on the idea altogether. That was when we bought our first fur baby: a beautiful Collie cross called Rhea. She was our little girl, and we both doted on her. We assuaged our guilt over our mutual neglect by caring for Rhea, devoting our attention to another living being rather than to each other. The puppies, Remus and Romulus, soon joined her, and our “family” was complete.
For as long as I’d known him, Marcus had played Sunday League football, which was followed by an afternoon with his teammates at the very pub I was now approaching. Coupled with training one evening a week, his evenings out gave me more than enough time to spend with Erica or at home with the dogs.
Have you thought any more about that holiday I mentioned?” Erica asked while we claimed our usual table. Our customary bottle of red wine was already ready and waiting for us.
I have . . .” My words drifted away when I thought back to her idea of a girlie getaway on the Isle of Wight. Just as its name suggested, the top-class Lakeside Hotel with attached spa was located right next to a beautiful lake. Bliss.
And?Why the hesitation?” Erica pushed like she always did, her blue eyes flashing once more as she looked into my brown ones.
The idea of a real getaway made the blonde hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, but I tried to rein in my excitement. “I don’t know. It sounds amazing, and Lord knows I could do with some time away.”
Do it, then.”
I knew I had enough holiday time available at work. Screw it.

Let’s do it.”

My Review

A short story that packs a punch. This is my second Feeney book and while the title led me to believe this was going to be a typical movie star meets normal girl, I couldn't have been more wrong.

This story has so much stuffed into a short novella. It's very well written, had me feeling connected to Ava almost immediately and feeling for her all the way through.

Ava goes on vacation at her best friends urging and with the time on her hands away from Marcus she can see their relatinship in a new light. Realizing what they have is stale, predictable and not what either of them really want anymore she heads home ready to make changes.

This book will snag you in the first chapter and not let you go until the end.




Summary:

The world is filled with people destined to help and to serve. Doctors, nurses, police, and firefighters—each and every day, these special people work to help others in times of need. Often, this means putting their own lives at risk in order to do their jobs. They give of themselves to benefit society, and they do it without any expectation of thanks.
And then there is the military…
These are the men and women who don’t head home to their families and safe homes to relax at the end of a shift. They are on the front lines, far from home and often fighting someone else’s battles because it is the right thing to do. Military families struggle to cope with the constant worry and the long periods of separation, staying strong to support those who serve in everything they do, and often are left to pick up the pieces when the highest price is paid.
Servicemen and women are heroes in the purest sense of the word. Even when the world’s gone mad and their hearts are breaking, one thing remains unchanged.
They have honour.

Excerpt:

All his life, his mother had been there for him, gently pushing him to do his very best and allowing him the opportunity to make his own decisions, even when they led him on a path she wouldn’t have chosen for him. When he’d told his parents at age sixteen that he wanted to enlist in the Army, they supported him. The one thing they asked of him was that he finished his education up to A-Levels before he enlisted. They did try to talk him into going to college for a couple of years also, but he insisted that he would get better qualifications and experience once he was a soldier. As agreed, on the day that he received his exam results, his dad drove him to the Army Careers Office to begin his journey.
I’m so proud of you, son,” his mother whispered into his ear while clutching him in a tight embrace. “Never, ever forget that.”
Thanks, Mum. I know you are. I love you.”


(Taken from the story Letters to No One)


My Review

A collection of short stories with a military theme, written as family of the soldier, the soldier them self or the widow.
I cried. I cried some more. This book took me on an emotional ride, so sweet, so heartbreaking along the way, I couldn't have loved it more. It's a amazing thing to have a book make you feel, and Honour did that.


Author Bio:


M. B. Feeney is an army brat who finally settled down in Birmingham, UK with her other half, two kids and a dog.  She’s also a student teacher, a doodler and a chocoholic.  Writing has been her one true love ever since she could spell, and publishing is the culmination of her hard work and ambition.

Signing up with Renaissance Romance Publishing to publish her first novella as part of  a compilation in December 2012 was the first step in her writing career that she hopes will span many more works and years.

Author Links

No comments:

Post a Comment